429th Attack Squadron
Published February 19, 2016
The 429th Attack Squadron is a classic associate unit at Holloman Air Force Base, N.M. Its mission is to support three Regular Air Force formal training squadrons with MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 Instructor Pilots, Sensor Operators and Mission Intelligence Coordinators.
The 429th traces its lineage to the 41st Aero Squadron established in June 1917 at Camp Kelly, Texas, as part of the United States' mobilization after its entry into World War I.
After several months of routine training and garrison duties, it deployed to Europe and became operationally ready as a pursuit squadron in Second Army just as hostilities ceased in November 1918.
The 41st AS served with 3rd Army as part of occupation forces, April-May 1919. It demobilized in July 1919.
The 41st AS was re-established as a pilot training squadron in 1922 at Kelly Field. There it provided basic flight training throughout the 1920s and early 1930s using a variety of trainers; switching to advanced flight training in 1931.
In 1935 the unit was redesignated the 41st Observation Squadron and reassigned to Langley Field, Va. The unit was re-equipped with Martin B-10 bombers and performed training flights primarily over the mid-Atlantic area; later receiving B-18 Bolos in 1937 and early-model B-17C/D Flying Fortress heavy bombers.
On Feb. 1, 1940 it was redesignated the 41st Squadron (Heavy) and then became the 429th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on April 22, 1942.
On Oct. 29, 1942 the 429th BS (Heavy) became part of the 2nd Bomb Group with the 20th, 49th and 96th squadrons; deploying in early 1943 to 12th Air Force in North Africa where it engaged in long-range strategic bombing missions in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations 1943-1945.
The missions flown then included bombing such targets as marshaling yards, airdromes, troop concentrations, bridges, docks and shipping. The unit also participated in the defeat of Axis forces in Tunisia, April-May 1943; the reduction of Pantelleria and the preparations for the invasion of Sicily, May-July 1943; and the invasion of Italy, September 1943.
The 429th BS (Heavy) moved to Italy in December 1943 and continued operations as part of 15th Air Force. It operated primarily from Amendola Air Base in Foggia where it engaged in long-range bombardment of strategic targets in Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania and Greece.
Additionally, it participated in the drive toward Rome, January-June 1944; the invasion of Southern France in August 1944, and the campaigns against German forces in northern Italy, June 1944-May 1945.
The unit inactivated in Italy in early 1946 and it was reactivated as the 429th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on Oct. 1, 1958, flying B-47s as part of Strategic Air Command.
The 429th BS (Medium) was deactivated on Jan. 1, 1962 as the B-47 was phased out.
On Nov. 19, 2013 it was re-designated the 429th Air Combat Training Squadron and reassigned under the 926th Wing at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
The unit was re-designated the 429th Attack Squadron on Oct. 24, 2016.
(Current as of November 2016)