The mission of the 706th Fighter Squadron, located at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., is to oversee Air Force Reserve Command members assigned to the U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, supporting missions in its 57th Wing, 53rd Wing and 505th Command and Control Wing. Pilots assigned to the 706th FS fly F-15C, F-15E, F-16, F-22 and F-35 aircraft.
The squadron was first activated as the 706th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on April 1, 1943, at Davis Monthan Field, Ariz., and equipped with the B-24.
The squadron was relocated to Flixton Field, England, later that year. It participated in 1,817 missions in the European Theater of Operations during World War II including initial bombing raids supporting the Normandy landings on DDay. The squadron returned to the United States and was inactivated in August 1945.
The squadron was reactivated under the Air Force Reserve on March 26, 1948, and re-designated the 706th Troop Carrier Squadron, equipped with C-45, C-46, C-119 and C-130 aircraft.
The 706 TCS relocated to New Orleans Naval Air Station, New Orleans, La., in 1961. The unit was re-designated the 706th Tactical Fighter Squadron on Feb. 7, 1978, and transitioned to the A-37.
The squadron upgraded to the A-10 Warthog in 1981, and was activated for Operation DESERT STORM where it had the first A-10 air-to-air victory, downing an Iraqi helicopter. The unit transitioned to F-16s in 1992 and deployed in support of Operation DELIBERATE FORCE in 1995.
In 1996 the squadron returned to A-10s until the unit was inactivated at New Orleans NAS in 2006. That same year it moved to Nellis Air Force Base where it was re-designated the 706th Fighter Squadron.
Read the full lineage
(Current as of March 2011)